How can I check my vehicle’s oil level?
Checking your vehicle’s oil level has to be one of the simplest things to maintain on your vehicle in between services. Ideally, you want to check the oil level monthly. However, if this feels impossible, try to do so at least before every long journey.
It need only take 5 minutes, but is a vital element to ensure your car runs smoothly and efficiently – check out our other FAQ post ‘How does oil work in a car’.
Just follow these simple steps below:
- With a cold engine, pull out the dipstick and wipe it clean with a lint-free rag. A piece of kitchen towel will suffice. Generally, the dipstick is located under the bonnet towards the front left hand side of the engine. But, if in doubt, refer to your owner’s manual or, of course, just give us a call!
- Insert the dipstick back into the pipe.
- Pull out the dipstick again and look to see where the oil ‘film’ reaches on the stick. Ideally the line of oil would sit somewhere between the minimum and maximum mark. If it’s low then it will need more oil added.
- Re-insert the dipstick.
- Don’t worry you don’t have to try and fill the oil through the dipstick pipe, instead look for the oil cap and fill the oil through there.
- Remember to check either with us, or again in the owner’s manual, to see what type of grade oil your car requires.
Ford recommends the use of Castrol Professional products as the vehicles have been developed and built with these oils.
For further information please contact us on tel: 01442 871234 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.